Everyday I get a few emails asking about the specifics of some piece of software or hardware I use.
I change up things fairly often, so this page will serve as a living document and a place to point curious developers to when I get asked.
If there is something missing leave a comment below or ask in my AMA — happy to chat and help you figure out your own situation.
Editor + Terminal
- Visual Studio Code is my current editor which I switched to in September 2017 after years of Sublime Text.
- Sublime Text V3 beta is used in most of my video tutorials — I write more about my setup in my book.
- I created a theme called Cobalt2 for VS Code, Sublime Text and iTerm2 v3 which I use.
- I’m currently using Operator Mono for a font. Yes I paid the $200 for it. Before that I used Inconsolata for many years.
- I use Operator Mono in Sublime, iTerm2 (with these settings: http://wes.io/fYY8), and in Chrome Dev tools with Dev Tools Author
- The cursive font you see is just the italic weight of Operator Mono. Your theme must have italics in it for it to work – my Cobalt2 uses italics heavily.
- I’m currently switching over to Hyper for my terminal.
- You can see most of my config files (.eslint, VS Code settings) over at my Dot Files repo but please don’t just take these settings carte blanche – they work for me but might not be the best
- I use Text Expander for canned responses and for most of my code snippets
- I’m a huge Alfred fan and have many workflows.
- I use Things App with a GTD mindset for managing my tasks.
- I design almost entirely in Sketch
- I backup with 2 time machines local HDDs, Dropbox for most files, and BackBlaze for my entire hard drive.
- I write in Sublime Text and use Marked to preview. I have an entire series about this.
- The cool Emoji picker you see me use in my videos is Rocket
- I use ScreenFlow to record and edit my screencasts
- I wrote about my animated gif workflow here
- My mic is a Heil PR40 on a PL2T boom arm. Many of my videos were recorded on the cheaper but still amazing AT2020
- I use a DBX286s to do almost all my audio compression and processing as a I record and pipe it into my computer with a Focusrite 2i2
- My webcam is a Logitech HD Pro c920
- All this gear is pretty demanding, so I use an
Anker 7/3 port USB 3.0 hub DIED 😵Amazon Basics 10 Port USB Hub to make it all work at once while only having to plug in a single cable.
- I run a Dell 4k P2715Q as my main with a cheap vertical 22″ to my left and an open loaded macbook pro nested on a Rain mStand
- I sit on a polished aluminum Herman Miller aeron
- My desk is an 8 foot oak butcher block countertop on legs
- After a lengthy search for the perfect backpack for both traveling and schlepping gear around the city I bought the Peak Design Everyday Backpack 30L and it’s incredible (and very expensive 😑).