Everyday I get a few emails asking about the specifics of some piece of software or hardware I use.
I change up things fairly often, so this page will serve as a living document and a place to point curious developers to when I get asked.
If there is something missing leave a comment below or ask in my AMA — happy to chat and help you figure out your own situation.
Editor + Terminal
- Sublime Text V3 beta is my editor — I write more about my setup in my book. I’m keen on Atom, and try it every few months but it isn’t at Sublime Text levels yet for my own personal daily use.
- I created a theme called Cobalt2 for both Sublime Text and iTerm2 v3 which I use.
- I’m currently using Operator Mono for a font. Yes I paid the $200 for it. Before that I used Inconsolata for many years.
- I use Operator Mono in Sublime, iTerm2 (with these settings: http://wes.io/fYY8), and in Chrome Dev tools with Dev Tools Author
- I use Text Expander for canned responses and for most of my code snippets
- I’m a huge Alfred fan and have many workflows.
- I use Things App with a GTD mindset for managing my tasks.
- I design almost entirely in Sketch
- I backup with 2 time machines local HDDs, Dropbox for most files, and BackBlaze for my entire hard drive.
- I write in Sublime Text and use Marked to preview. I have an entire series about this.
- I use ScreenFlow to record and edit my screencasts
- I wrote about my animated gif workflow here
- My mic is a Heil PR40 on a PL2T boom arm. Many of my videos were recorded on the cheaper but still amazing AT2020
- I use a DBX286s to do almost all my audio compression and processing as a I record and pipe it into my computer with a Focusrite 2i2
- My webcam is a Logitech HD Pro c920
- All this gear is pretty demanding, so I use an Anker 7/3 port USB 3.0 hub to make it all work at once while only having to plug in a single cable.